Healing Roast Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 1 whole free range chicken
- Oil to coat
- Seasoning of choice
- 4 grated carrots
- 2 grated potatoes
- 1 packet sliced green beans
- 2 grated zucchini
- 2 celery stalks
- Organic, low sodium chicken stock
- Pre-heat oven to 475 °F.
- Coat chicken with avocado oil and season.
- Place in an oven-proof dish with a lid and set the oven timer to 20 minutes and bake.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 °F, set timer for 40 minutes and bake.
- Wash and prepare vegetables and place in a large pot on the stove.
- Add chicken stock and water to cover and boil for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and take the lid off and add about a cup of water to the chicken drippings at the bottom of the pan.
- Turn oven to broil and return the chicken to the oven to get the skin crisp. This gives the soup a wonderful, roast chicken flavour, as opposed to bland boiled chicken.
- Watch the chicken carefully and remove when skin is slightly brown and crisp.
- Cut as much of the chicken as you would like into the cooked vegetables. You can even add the drumstick bones to the soup for additional flavor and nutrients.
- Add the drippings from the bottom of the roasting pan to the soup.
- If you have any leftover chicken meat, store in an airtight container to add to salads or vegetables in the days ahead.